Level 5 Cultural Interaction Learning Workbook
This workbook provides a range of activities for a full Social Studies teaching programme typically taught at Year 9 or 10 that specifically covers the Achievement Objective ‘Understand how cultural interaction impacts on cultures and societies’ from Level 5 of The New Zealand Curriculum, Social Sciences.
This workbook features eight independent units of work:
- Introduction – ‘What is culture?’
- Culture and land
- Culture and race
- Culture and immigration
- Culture and treatment of women
- Culture and taboos
- Culture and food
- Culture and death
The workbook also features:
- key social studies concepts – society and communities and how they function, cultures and identities within communities and their effects on groups and individuals
- social studies knowledge, skills and competencies
- key social studies vocabulary.
This workbook uses a variety of activities that suit the different learning styles. Skills covered include resource interpretation, recognising usefulness and reliability of sources, interpretation of information, development of empathy, analysis of graphs and statistics, comparing and contrasting, communication skills – both oral and written, and interpersonal skills through discussion and acceptance of differences.
The write-on format keeps student notes and work together in a compact form, providing a useful revision tool for tests and other assessments.