Level 5 Resources & Sustainability Learning Workbook (new edition)
Due mid-late September, 2021.
This workbook provides a range of activities for a full Social Studies teaching programme typically taught at Year 9 or 10 that specifically covers the Achievement Objective ‘Understand how people’s management of resources impacts on environmental and social sustainability’ from Level 5 of The New Zealand Curriculum, Social Sciences.
This workbook features twelve independent units of work:
- Sustaining our native forests
- Saving our oceans and seas
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
- Managing e-waste
- Tuvalu struggles to sustain human life
- Sustainable Samsø Island
- New Zealand’s declining water quality
- Sustainable water trail at Auckland’s Botanic Gardens
- Waste disposal in landfills
- New Zealand’s Exclusive Economic Zone
- Sustainable Aotearoa
Answers are available at www.esa.co.nz
The workbook, based upon contemporary New Zealand, Pacific and international locations, also features:
- key social studies concepts
- social studies knowledge, skills and competencies
- key social studies vocabulary.
Students working through this workbook will be able to:
- develop an understanding of the interrelationships between people and the environment
- recognise environmental and resource degradation and depletion
- describe the causes of resource degradation and depletion
- describe the consequences of resource degradation and depletion for people and the environment
- accept that resource use must be managed and sustained
- understand that conservation is necessary to ensure resource sustainability
- explain how groups attempt to protect the environment and manage resources
- take personal responsibility for environmental sustainability and adopt social action – get involved
- understand the concept of carbon footprint and suggest ways to reduce it
- understand that he/she is a global citizen and has a personal interest in managing resources to ensure environmental and social sustainability.
The write-on format keeps student notes and work together in a compact form, providing a useful revision tool for tests and other assessments.